“If you had to talk to someone about pursing their dreams, what would be the top 3–5 things you would say to them? Or what would you have wished you had heard early on when you started pursuing your dreams?” Clenord Ferguson, author of the ‘Truth About Love’ and Founder of Island Praize
Perhaps any other year I would have felt ill-equipped to respond, although you better believe I would have found something. I am a fan of faking it until you make it after all.
However, the truth is that 2010 has absolutely been a blessed year of courage for me. So to those who will read this, I encourage you in the RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF YOUR DREAMS and offer the following hard-won advice:
1. Go for it! Put one foot in front of the other and start crawling, hopping, walking, and running (whatever you have to do) in the direction of your dreams.
2. Excuses are just that—excuses. Don’t lie to yourself about what you can’t do. Have you tried? Have you failed at it a couple of times? If you don’t know, ask someone who does. And if all else fails adopt a mantra—Think Ali’s ‘Impossible is Nothing’—or Gabriel in the foundational Luke 1:37 saying ‘For With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible.’
3. Your dream is not a reality until it is. So stop putting the mirror of your current reality in front of it.
4. Think outside the box! Surround yourself with people who do the same and see them challenge you.
Beware that at this point the words, crazy, strange, interesting and weird may follow you (that’s if they haven’t already). But always lead from the front. Let your naysayers follow you right up to the realization of your goals, and then make the decision on whose application you’ll give a second look.
5. Pray like a Mother! Plug into your source regularly. If you don’t, then you plan to fail without question or effort.
And if you’re anything like me, sometimes a song just kinda solidifies things.
How are you pursuing your dreams? What would you add to this list?